Monday, August 9, 2010

Rogers Cup Pick: David Nalbandian


Name: David Nalbandian
Current ATP Rank: 45 (he moved up 72 positions this week!)
Can he win the title? A week ago I would have said no, today I say why not!

Nalbandian just had an amazing week where he won the Legg Mason Tennis Classic in Washington. Along the way to the title he destroyed Rajeev Ram 6-4 6-0, Stan Wawrinka 6-3 6-1, Marco Chiudinelli 6-1 6-0, and also took out Gilles Simon and Marin Cilic before beating Marcos Baghdatis in the final 6-2, 7-6. Those are some pretty crazy scores from David, and when he's on (and not injured) it's almost impossible to beat him.

When I started making my picks for the Rogers Cup last week Nalbandian was definitely not on my list. However, after his play in Washington I decided I would include him in my top five (which means I'm leaving out other top players like Djokovic and Soderling). I'm not sure that Nalbandian will be able to keep up his level of play this week, but if he can then I wouldn't be surprised to see him in the finals. Welcome back Nalbandian!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...